As a new life insurance agent, keeping a close watch on your budget is of utmost importance. While there is nothing wrong with spending money month over month, you have to know where your funds are going and whether or not you are getting a good return on your investment.
When you spend your money wisely, you will find two things to be true:
- You have more money or clients than you started the month with
- You have a regular stream of interested prospects
Here are 3 Common Mistakes Many Agents Make As The Begin Their Career
1. Overspending on a website. There is no denying the fact that you need a website to compete in today’s industry. That being said, the last thing you want to do is overpay. Unless you have a plan for promoting your website on a regular basis, it is best to stick with a basic design with only the necessary tools .
Tip: if you are on an extremely tight budget and have no money to pay for a professional website, consider one of the many do-it-yourself tools. For example, you can build a WordPress site from the ground up with little to no experience.
2. Paying money for a CRM you do not need yet. Some agents rely on a CRM to stay organized and ensure that they are always on the right track. Others don’t realize the importance of doing so, and for this reason rely on another way of doing things.
For the time being, you may want to opt for a basic excel spreadsheet as opposed to investing in a powerful CRM. This is a free option that can help get you up and running. Once you are making enough money and have a larger number of leads in the sales pipeline, you can invest in a robust CRM to assist you as your career moves forward.
3. Buying online life insurance leads without the proper knowledge. Many agents feel that they have to buy leads because this is what a lot of others are doing. It is true that a growing number of life insurance professionals are purchasing leads online.
Before getting started, you must come to the realization that no two lead companies are the same. You have to find the provider that offers the highest quality leads at an affordable price.
Be Patient to Avoid Mistakes
When you first get started as a life insurance agent, you may feel rushed as you attempt to chase after the competition and close your first batch of sales. As excited as you may be about what the future holds, you don’t want to get ahead of yourself.
The more patient you are the easier it is to avoid mistakes, including those pertaining to the finances of your business.
By avoiding the three mistakes above, you will find yourself spending your money wisely and better positioned for success in the near future.